Based in Birmingham, UK
October 5th 2017
Steam - PC
The Botanist is an optimistic game about growing plants and becoming independent, where every word in the world is a seed that grows a unique plant. You are let go from your job, with very little compensation and even less in the bank. You choose to see this as an opportunity. To finally take the time to try and reach your dream of becoming a botanist. Work hard and believe in yourself, and you can achieve your goals.
One night, in mid 2016, I (James Biddulph, Developer) couldn't sleep, so I got up and made a little garden simulator. I was stressed out, and living in the city, but nature and open, green spaces, always helps to calm me down. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I made the game generate a random plant based upon a random word. It was super rough, and didn't look great, but I was just making it to take my mind off things. I showed this little game to a few people, and it seemed to connect with them. I noticed that people would always do very similar things the first time that they played. They would type in their own name, their pets name, loved ones etc, to see what kind of plant would grow. It was amazing to see them connect the plant to the person. Maybe the plant was very chaotic and messy, which made them think of their cat, or tall and graceful like their partner. I saw this happen with enough different people to convince me that I should turn this idea into a full game. I hope that it connects with more people, and maybe even helps you if you are having a hard time, like the original prototype did with me.
- Complete customer requests and build your reputation, to try to become a professional Botanist.
- Curate a seed catalogue all of your own, where every word will grow a unique plant.
- Choose words that mean something to you. Your loved ones, pets, or favourite places.
- Collect varied pots and vases to create displays that suit you and your clients.
- Commemorate your favourite arrangements with your camera, and cherish the memories forever.
- Chill out to an original soundtrack by Robert Paul Allen
The Botanist trailer YouTube
The Botanist 'Let's Play' YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Having got my own bonsai tree this year, I’m surprised at how Biddulph’s plant generator parallels the ancient art,"
- Chris Preistman, KillScreen
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Jamo Games
Jamo Games is a Birmingham UK based games development company started by James Biddulph. The latest release of Jamo Games is The Botanist, a game where every word, in every language, grows a different plant. It is out now on Steam, for PC.
More information on Jamo Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Botanist Credits
Game Design and development